Tuesday, February 26, 2013

The burn out and the pour.

The many pieces of the praying man will go through this next stage of the foundry process.  First lets recap. These are the steps that have taken place so far.

  • Sculpting
  • Mold making
  • Wax
  • Cleaning of Waxes
  • Gating up
  • Dipping
I was not at the foundry for the pour of the praying man, things are very busy around the studio as we are getting ready to start the Grambling Tiger and my daughter is getting ready to birth my granddaughter.  I'm a bit preoccupied.   I do, however,  have these stages documented from the previous sculpture of Evelyn and The Prairie View Panther.  

In this video you will see that each of the wax pieces are put into a very hot oven.  The wax melts out of the shells.  This is the reason this process is otherwise referred to as the lost wax method of bronze casting.  The shell where the wax once was will now hold the metal.  




No comments:

Post a Comment