Monday, December 24, 2012

I have to hand it to you!

The hands start out as just a wire armature. 

Why sculpt the underside if no one will see it?  Because the
hidden areas have a relationship with what is seen.
To make it real a sculptor must not cut corners. 
I use my own hand as reference.  
I love sculpting hands.  I have always loved sculpting them. Interestingly enough, if I am doing a life-size sculpture of someone, it is not only their face that must be spot on, but their hands as well. 

I have a strong attraction to hands. Is it because touch is so important in what I do?  

Someone asked me if I would create a hand sculpting tutorial. I certainly will, and will add that link here as soon as things slow down. 



Touched.
One of the most important things to me are the casts that I made
of my parents hands.  Both mother and father have gone on to
be with the Lord.  If ever you visit my studio, ask me about
the piece of art I created with these casts and what it means to me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment